J.D. Chapman Agency believes that auto insurance should be tailor made to fit your specific needs. Unlike many of the large, national insurance companies that largely fit all of their customers into a “one size fits all” policy, we work with multiple high quality companies that will ensure that you are fully protected at a fair price. Your price gets even better if you qualify for any of our available discounts.
We are here to help you understand the many different types of auto insurance, which may include:
- Standard or Preferred Auto Insurance
- High Risk Auto Insurance
- Classic and/or High Valued Autos
- Insurance Programs for Mature/Elderly Drivers
- Recreational Vehicles/Boats
How much Insurance Coverage do I need?
Choosing the appropriate level of auto insurance coverage depends on a number of factors, including assets you must protect (liability coverage), value of your vehicle (collision and comprehensive), and the amount of money you can afford to pay out-of-pocket (your deductible).
How Does My Auto Insurance Policy Work?
Mandatory Coverage in New York State:
- Liability coverage for Bodily Injury and Property Damage – Liability coverage pays for injuries you cause to other people and damage you cause to other people’s property when you are at fault in an automobile accident.
- Medical Payments coverage – Medical Payments coverage pays medical expenses (up to a specified dollar limit) for you and passengers of your car who are injured in an automobile accident, no matter who is at fault. If you and your passengers have health Insurance, you may not need this coverage.
- Personal Injury Protection, also known as No Fault – This coverage pays for medical and rehabilitative expenses, and funeral expenses. It also pays for loss of income if you are injured in an auto accident and are unable to work, regardless of fault.
- Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage – This coverage pays if you are injured by a person who is completely uninsured or doesn’t have enough liability Insurance to cover your injuries. It also covers you if you are in an accident with a hit-and-run driver.
Optional Coverage in New York State:
- Comprehensive (Other than Collision) – Provides coverage for damage to your vehicle for wind, hail, flood, animal collisions and glass breakage.
- Full Glass Coverage – Provides coverage to fix your vehicle in for glass breakage with a $0 deductible
- Collision – Provides coverage to fix your vehicle in the event of an accident. This coverage may be mandatory if you have a car loan.
- Rental Reimbursement – Provides Coverage to rent a vehicle if your vehicle has been damaged by a covered cause of loss
- Towing/Roadside Assistance – Provides for reimbursement for exposures associated with towing your vehicle or for roadside assistance.
Car Insurance Fact: If your pet is injured during an automobile accident, vet bills may be covered by your car insurance policy. Contact us today to learn more!
How does insurance in NY respond to Ride Sharing such as Uber or Lyft?
Currently, insurance companies in NY do not cover ride sharing on a personal auto policy, as it is a livery exposure that is specifically excluded. Many insurance companies have filed endorsements with the NY State Department of Financial Services that will allow coverage of some type but, as of now, it is not determined what that coverage will be. We recommend that if you are contemplating working for a Ride Sharing Company, find out what coverage they offer you for the following:
- Pre-match: Driver has logged into the app and is waiting for a call
- Match accepted: Passenger Pick up
- Passenger occupying the vehicle
- Will their coverage pay for damage to your vehicle while you are transporting a passenger if you are involved in an accident
- If a passenger is injured while in your vehicle how will they respond to the injury to the passenger
If you have questions, please call our office as this is a changing environment with insurance companies refining how they will respond to the situation.