Crash! You were just in an auto accident. What do you do now?
So, you were just in an automobile accident. What should you do now? Not surprisingly, this is an all-to-frequently asked question.
Here are the steps we recommend you should take.
- Be prepared by making sure that when you are driving you have your driver’s license, registration, and up-to-date insurance ID card.
- Also, ensure that before the automobile is in motion that everyone is wearing their seatbelt and that children are secured in approved car seats in the back seats of the vehicle.
- In the unfortunate event of an accident, stop and converse with the other motorists (assuming no critical injuries). First, check the vehicle’s passengers for injuries.
- It is a good idea to notify the local police agency and wait on their arrival. It is always preferable to have a police report in the event there are discrepancies about what happened and how it happened.
- Exchange insurance and contact information with the other driver(s).
- Note the name, address, insurance company, insurance agency, license plate number, and any applicable phone numbers of the other driver/drivers involved in the accident. The more information you have, the easier it will be for your insurance agent to help obtain a fair settlement.
- As soon as possible you should report the accident to your insurance agent. If possible, visit the agent’s local office and complete a written report. The agent will then notify your insurance company, starting the process that will settle the claim.
If you have questions about your insurance and how you’d be covered in the event of an accident, call us. We’ll be happy to walk you through it.